Wednesday, June 11, 2014

summer living

Spring suddenly became sweltering summer this past weekend. It was the hottest Pentecost on record. We were so lucky to have a 3 day weekend so we had a chance to enjoy family time at our favorite lake to splash, swim and cool down.
 
Family days at the lake mean I need to be really organized and get my shopping done or else I get to concoct "interesting" meals with whatever I find in the fridge. This spaghetti salad was one of those things but it turned out delicious! I tossed in mozzarella, green onions, sliced olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, toasted pine nuts, and chopped arugula from the garden; then drizzled a dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar, salt and pepper over the (cooled) pasta.
 
A platter of colorful fresh finger food is even easier than making a salad. I find even my pickiest eaters will gladly nibble away on fruit and veggies when displayed like this.
 
If we can't find time to travel to our lake, I seek refuge from the heat with a cool snack under the shade of one of our cherry trees.
If you love gorgeous nostalgic photos and lovely traditional recipes, and if you have a bit of an Italy obsession (check all of the above!), I highly recommend the beautiful book "Limoncello and Linen Water" by Tessa Kiros. I am savoring it slowly and these hot days are just the perfect backdrop for imagining....

Alas, thunderstorms have chased away the heat and blue skies, but at least my flowers got a wonderful drenching of water and the temperatures have cooled down slightly. And my children for once are happy that it's raining while they have school and not the other way around. (They really are convinced the weather changes the minute the school bell rings!)

I hope wherever you are, you have a lovely day -  with or without raindrops but certainly with few moments for daydreaming!

xoxo 
Karen







2 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

That all looks so lovely Karen! :)
V x

Mrs. Teacher said...

A snack under the tree in the lovely summer weather...gorgeous.