Wednesday, October 16, 2013

crunchy, not too sweet, delicious!

Last week I made a batch of homemade granola. I used the recipe from Serena Thompson's "Farm Chicks in the Kitchen" cookbook.  I substituted walnuts for the pecans as we have a walnut tree and baskets full of healthy, organic walnuts just waiting for someone to shell and devour. 
Takes a bit longer to prepare the granola if you shell your own nuts but we're on a slower pace thanks to fall vacation, and I am trying to cultivate a mentality of meditation while doing repetitive tasks with my hands (stitching, gardening, cleaning, working with our bees, shelling nuts!) I didn't grow up this way and changing the way you think is an active challenge, I'm sure we all agree!  It is very satisfying when you take a bite to think, our walnuts, our honey....worth every minute of work!
 
If you are inspired to make granola, here is the recipe I used.

There was not much left this morning! All five of us have been enjoying it. My favorite version: one chopped apple, a few grapes, a few spoonfuls of organic vanilla or fruit yogurt, and a sprinkling of granola on top. A perfect breakfast!

xoxo 
Karen

2 comments:

rahel said...

Whenever I have time I also make my own granola. I use Silan (Date honey) and Thina (sesame paste) with all the other ingredients. I also love to add pecan nuts from the garden. Enjoy your granola!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Mmmm that does sound a lovely breakfast! How wonderful to have so many walnuts at your disposal and your own honey too.
V xxx