Monday, January 21, 2013

vegan pumpkin-apple muffins

We still have quite a bit of frozen applesauce and pumpkin puree from our garden last summer & autumn so I was really happy to stumble upon a recipe which uses both.

I doubled the recipe, which you can find here, and we baked two batches yesterday. They are very moist and delicious and they are light enough that you can easily justify eating more than one (perfect with hot tea after a nice hike through a snowy forest!). I found the sugar content quite high & I reduced it slightly. Also skipped the powdered sugar sprinkling on top - they are sweet enough!

The recipe calls for "pumpkin pie spice" which is not available here. I added a pinch of cloves, nutmeg, ginger and allspice as a substitute.

Our week is starting off with masses of snowflakes falling from the sky. Hope your week is getting off to a wonderful start!

xoxo 
Karen

2 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Always a bonus when you eat more than one!! ;) they do look good!
No snow worth talking about here but that's ok with me!
Happy new week Karen,
V xxx

nest full of eggs said...

I remember while we were living in France I had to find substitutes for some ingredients found in American recipes ~ thank goodness for the internet, finding substitutes is only a click away.
Enjoy your white winter wonderland!
We have a little bit of white on the ground, but not really anything the kids can go play in, it's especially difficult to get outside here right now as it is super duper cold, brrrrrr!