Thursday, January 10, 2013

Paris on a rainy day


My daughter and I started off our new year with a day dedicated to art. We went to this exhibit in Frankfurt and if you like Paris and/or Impressionist art (or both!), do check out this short video of the show. It is in German with English subtitles. The painter and art patron Gustave Caillebotte may not the first name you might think of when recalling Impressionist painters. However, his influence was probably greater than generally considered, as this exhibit tries to prove. Caillebotte's story is well worth knowing. Personally, I also found the collection of photos of Paris from the mid to late 1800's an extremely fascinating part of the exhibit. 

If you are in Germany and want to see this, you must hurry, the exhibit is ending soon! 

Another very wonderful thing about our day in the city was spending it with two good friends, who happen to be mother and daughter as well. Lovely!

It is deeply satisfying to start off the year surrounding yourself with the people and things you love.

Sometimes the planning of projects involving many people can be overwhelming to me, but every time we work towards making dreams and goals happen, a new world opens up.

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."
-Rumi

xoxo
Karen


3 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Lovely quote Karen. :)
My daughter is a huge fan of Paris, she would have loved that exhibition .
Happy Thursday,
Vivienne x

nest full of eggs said...

what a nice time to share with your daughter, I found the video very interesting ~ thanks for sharing :)

Judith said...

This looks like a wonderful exhibition Karen. I love impressionist art. It sounds like you had a lovely day with your daughter and friends. I enjoy going to art exhibitions with my daughters too.
I love the Rumi quote. I have several of his books. Wishing you a happy new year too :) Judith x