Wednesday, January 9, 2013

December Daily

Thanks for coming back for day two of my Christmas Album! I know the season is over and done with but....actually...our house is still full of decorations and I don't know about you, but I certainly don't mind Christmas lingering on for just a few more days :)
For my “December Daily” I used a lovely green linen-covered photo album with spiral binding and thick creamy pages. It's something I picked up at the drug store on sale last summer. It had some silly word on the front which I covered with my album name (stamped) and some snowflakes.
I started the book with a foundation page – a bit of an introduction in which I kind of mused about Christmas and Advent and what's important for me, for our family. 
I added a few photos of each family member on the backs of these tags and dangled them with ribbons from the spiral binding. 
My time-squeezing tip: I found it was easiest to jot down my daily entries on the computer every evening. Every few days I found an hour or so to sit down to work on my book, I started by pulling out all my pretty papers and photos and printing out my latest journaling notes. I do really love the look of handwriting in scrapbooks and usually do a mix of print and handwriting – but my December Daily is mostly printed which made it much quicker to make. Sometimes it looks a little too neat for me – paradoxically the handwriting looks more spontaneous - but for me it was just easier in this case to print out rather than handwrite and that's okay.

I usually kept my layouts quite simple.




One of my favorite tools in this project was a cute roller date stamp I bought last fall and I adore it! It is called “Dear Lizzy Neapolitan Roller Date Stamp” by American Crafts and you can stamp the date as well as a little phrase (if you want). I knew I was going to love it when I ordered it and would you believe that in the original plastic package - the date was set to my birthday!!!! (I order on-line so I did not pick it out like that!) Coincidences like that give me happy goosebumps! I used this stamp on almost every page.
I also stamped this adorable little bird on most pages as a unifying element throughout. 

Most of the scrapbook papers & stickers were from the Crate collection “Sleigh Ride” and “Make it Merry” by October Afternoon. I just purchased a few sheets of the papers that caught my eye – and then mixed and matched with other Christmassy papers in my stash.
When I felt like I was running out of pages, I made little cardstock flaps attached with washi tape. 

Here are links to a few beautiful December Daily albums that really inspired me.
This handmade book in lovely neutrals and whites by Wings of a Butterfly is just gorgeous and Vanessa links to a tutorial to show you how to make the book yourself. 

I also enjoyed watching Estellita from France put up photos of her December Daily all during the month. Love her creative style. 

Ali Edward's Daily is stunning as always and there are many more links to wonderful books. 
 
Thanks so much for looking!


4 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

You are clever Karen, you album looks amazing!!! What a beautiful way to record your family Christmas. :)
V xxx

nest full of eggs said...

I always enjoy seeing what you are creating. And how fun that the date stamp arrived with your birthdate on it !!

Vanessa said...

Hi Karen! Your DD looks fab! Thank you so much for linking to mine, I am glad you like it! Vanessa

Ivy Clad said...

Wow! Hats off to you for taking the time to do this. I really need to do more memory-preserving like this and like your idea of jotting things down in the computer at night. It looks great, and even better, how fun it will be to look at it next year!

xo,
Keri