Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October impressions

My children got started very early on pumpkin carving this year. There were all shapes and sized to be found in our pumpkin patch! The littlest hands carved the littlest gourds. All three made quirky delightful creatures.
That stringy mouth looks pretty ghoulish to me!
For much of October we were bathed in golden sunlight.
 
 
 We played and crunched through the leaves by the Rhine river promenade.
Many familiar mushrooms popped up overnight in our yard only to quickly disappear again.
 
 
 We often heard and saw the geese migrating in their beautiful v-formations.
I filled up a wheelbarrow of pumpkins to rescue from the childrens' carving knives and the frost to store in the cellar. The small Hokkaido variety are so delicious as are the deep orange large pumpkins called Rouge Vif d'Etampes.
 
Then the warm air and sunshine abruptly ended and we woke up to the first frost and snowflakes twirling in the freezing air. I waited all summer for these mauve dahlias to blossom and they had finally just opened up before the frost arrived. Sad as that is, they looked fleetingly very delicate and magical in their frosted state.
xoxo 
Karen

4 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I agree there is something very pretty about the little dahlia. :)
Amazing pumpkin carving, well done to your children. You have so many pumpkins, they are something I have never grown, I think that will have to change!!
Beautiful photos as always Karen.
Happy Tuesday,
Vivienne x

nest full of eggs said...

the Rhine river promenade sounds wonderful !

Ivy Clad said...

Hi Karen!

That dahlia looks so pretty with the frost on the edges. Fall is my favorite season. They way all the colors blend, like you've shown here with the mushrooms, leaves and pumpkins, I think, has got to be the most gorgeous color palette ever.

I'm enjoying our beautiful weather but secretly hoping for a good frost here too, but I'd love for it to wait a few more days until I get the tulip bulbs in the ground.

Can you believe it's November already?! Soon we'll be chatting about Christmas.

Love,
Keri

Monica said...

Wow, as pretty as all is in the Laurentians where I am, I would love to experience this season by the Rhine one day.