Thursday, September 27, 2012

tag memory book: when you were two

There is a lot of emphasis in scrapbooking about capturing everyday moments and putting together albums documenting daily life as it happens. I think this is really wonderful, especially for moms who need to carve a creative break into their busy, child-centered days (or anybody, really) and I'm convinced it is very therapeutic to take a step back and honor our lives as they unfold. You also really are only going to remember the itty-bitty details of events if you jot them down right away.

Yes, I do make notes and compose journaling texts as certain events happen and file these in a folder that I pull out when I feel inspired to create layouts with paper and photos.
Sometimes, though, I really want to just look back at the past and scrapbook about it.
If you are a scrapbooker, I wonder, do you scrapbook life as it happens or do you go back months, or even years and put thoughts, memories and photos down together?

Do you really plan out what you are going to make or do you just let it happen?
I recently splurged on some lovely new papers and products and found myself just playing around aimlessly. And I created a little album I had absolutely no intention of making. I don't even know where my idea came from. But I love how it turned out. And it is all about something in my life that happened YEARS ago!
This is a lovely little tag album and anyone can make it. All you need is a ring clip, a few shipping  tags and some paper. In the shortest time you have a little collection of photos and stories to share and enjoy.

(And you will have fun making it!) 

My story here is that my children were all born several years apart and I wanted to document and compare how things were  - how I was as a person - when they were toddlers. Each time I was a different kind of mother because each time everyday life was a different situation.
For each child, I wrote a short letter to them telling them what life was like for them and me when they were two. I also included one photo with just the two of us (not easy to find since I am the photographer!) because the story is about us and our relationship.
I also noted some of my ideas about the specialness of age 2  - who knows, maybe years from now one of my kids will look back and read it when he or she has a two-year old! This longer text folds up and is tied with a ribbon.
 
A great help was finding photos quickly. I recently organized my photos by family member (a great idea by Stacy Julian) so I could easily sift through those files and easily find snapshots of my children at age two that hadn't yet landed in any albums.
My favorite products in this project are these cute buttons by Flair, tags from October Afternoon and the "Everyday Eclectic" line of patterned paper. (I used an 8x 8 inch pad for this, still have lots of paper left over for other projects). All super sweet products!
My kids grew out of toddlerhood years ago, so obviously I can not truly and honestly recall tiny little everyday details now. But there is also a maturity in letting time past and seeing the broader picture of how things were. I really loved looking back on my memories and putting them down on paper. 
If you feel inspired to create a scrapbook page or project, I think it really doesn't matter if it happened yesterday or ten years ago. You and the people in your scrapbook will love that you took the time to create a way to honor your memories.

 xoxo
Karen


4 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a lovely post Karen. :)
Such a good idea to make day to day notes, I know I can barely remember what happened last week so writing it all down is a clever thing to do!!
I love that you wrote a note to each of your children when they were all at a certain age. :)
All your crafty bits and pieces are so lovely and I really love all those beautiful tags you have made!
Vivienne x

tinajo said...

Looks lovely and will be appreciated! :-)

nest full of eggs said...

such a good point that it's never too late, your daughter was adorable at 2 :)
and you haven't changed a bit !

Shelley Haganman said...

What a lovely mini! Your children will love that you did this! They grow up so fast! Thank you so much for including my flair and linking to my shop! I truly appreciate it! Keep on scrapping! :)