Wednesday, August 29, 2012

sunflowers & lavender wreath

I love the way the intense days of summer start to mellow out at the end of August. The slightly cooler days (and nights!) give me more energy and some of the vibrant colors are fading gently in the softer light. School has started, the light evenings are noticeably shorter. There is a sense of coolness and melancholy in the air - but at the same time - that sense of a clean new slate and fresh start in fall. The sun still shines strong and hot, the flowers are still blooming and beautiful and the promise of gorgeous fall days is something I always look forward to. 
My two favorite garden flowers have traded off the spotlight. The lavender is all dried out - I should have trimmed our many bushes by now - only a few last bees and butterflies linger on the dry blooms. If you read this then you know I adore sunflowers! Look at them taking over our vegetable patch -so cheerful! 
Last week I made a fragrant wreath for our front door using both of these flowers.  Projects like these always remind me how much I love my glue-gun :) 
 
I used silk flowers and real lavender. I covered a few wooden birds with pretty scrapbook paper from October Afternoon's "Farmhouse" line with decoupage medium. After they dried I lightly sanded the edges and added a bit of white paint to make them slightly shabby.
Using simple cord from the dollar store (actually, the Euro store :)) I tied a bundle of lavender and two birds to dangle from the wreath. I like seeing the pretty back sides of the birds when I walk past the door inside the house.
I don't have that much experience with wreath making, but I really like how it turned out. The patterned paper is so pretty and I love the juxtaposition of the rustic and feminine elements.

xoxo
Karen

2 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a gorgeous wreath and very expertly done I have to say, so pretty. :)
Well as you know I too love sunflowers and am a bit sad that their time is almost over. I love how they have taken over your vegetable patch. :)
Vivienne x

Judith said...

Love the pic of the gorgeous sunflower invasion
of your vege patch Karen!
Your wreath is very sweet and looks so welcoming on the
front door! :) xx
PS..love those white shutters!