Monday, June 18, 2012

vintage crochet & linen

Granny-chic project, part two...

One of the doilies in my stash of thrift shop treasures is a lovely square and I have used it to make a pretty tote bag.

I think the ivory crochet looks so pretty with this pale gray linen. My supply of this beautiful fabric from Ikea is slowly coming to an end. Which means of course we'll be forced to return sometime this summer... :) 

Usually when I sew, I try to work as neatly as possible. Everything crisply ironed, perfectly (or as best I can) straight seams, careful attention to every detail and of course no long threads or fraying edges.
 
However, as this bag was emerging without a pattern or much forethought, I saw the shabby fringed edges and immediately knew this was going to turn into a sort of deconstructed imperfect and very lovable object.

And I do love it! I left the edges of the inner pocket and handles unfinished - and the pocket is not a perfect square either. Slung over one shoulder, it is casual and matches this new chevron summer top perfectly. (See more from this Swedish designer of beautiful textiles)
 

I think the rest of my doilies will go onto new items for sale in my shops. They are so inspiring!

Have a lovely Monday! 
xoxo
Karen

6 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Gorgeous Karen. :)
I love the shabby chic and you are so right it suits the project really well!
What a perfect match for your top too. :)
Happy new week,
Vivienne x

nest full of eggs said...

loving all the gray !
I totally agree with you about doilies being so inspiring ~ I think I could write a whole book with all of my ideas, but first I need to execute all those ideas...

Alexiev said...

Good...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar
Proyectos - Illustrations
Alexiev Store - venta de originales
@alexievg en twitter

Jess said...

The bag compliments the vest perfectly! Grey looks so chic. What a fantastic find the doilies were and with your clever eye for design, are transformed! :)
Jess xx

illustration poetry said...

i love the color ♥

un arc-en-ciel dans le lavabo said...

I love the bag Karen ! I think you're a great bag-maker ;) and I took mine (remember?!) to tour Scandinavia with me. it was light in the suitcase and just perfect with a summer outfit.