Wednesday, June 27, 2012

easy crafts for kids: paper ladybug

This is an adorable ladybug made of folded paper that kids will love to make.
You will need:
red and black construction paper
black marker
pencil
scissors
glue
white paper or plastic craft eyes
You will also need some construction paper to make a circle template for the body and a template for the legs.
First, cut the red paper to a square, approx 6 or 8 inches (15-20 cm). You can make squares in different sizes to make an entire ladybug family!

Fold this square 3 times:
once in half
twice diagonally
Open it up again.
 
Now gently push the sides towards the middle to create a triangle shape, press down flat.
 
Using a circle template (bottom of a glass works well) trace a circle on the triangle, making sure the circle overlaps slightly on the sides.
Cut out the circle, making sure you do not cut the sides where it overlapped!
You now have your ladybug body. Embellish it however you like. Draw on black spots or hearts or glue on bits of black paper. Make the face using paper or black marker. Add glitter or sparkles. Why not make some ladybugs in other colors? Let your child use her or his imagination and have fun!
At the end draw a template with 6 legs and trace this onto black paper. Glue it on the bottom of your ladybug. You're done!
You now have a cute ladybug to keep for yourself or give to someone special. 
 xoxo
Karen
ps feel free to leave a link to your creations in the comments!

6 comments:

Stephanie @ Toastie Studio said...

I love this! I made a ladybug garland this week :) Ladybugs are so sweet.
Would love you to visit and link this up in my link party. http://toastiestudio.blogspot.nl/2012/06/made-monday-26.html

greenrabbitdesigns said...

That is just sooooo cute Karen! :)
A really simple but very effective idea!!
Vivienne x

Kathy, PaperPumpkin said...

Hi! Thank you for visiting and leaving a note! I am so excited for you that you are excited to be painting in an art journal!! I remember making my first collage journaling page and trying to decide if I could actually put it on my Blog. I was absolutely terrified...and shy. I hesitated a long time, then couldn't click Publish. And then I took a deep breath and did it. My heart was literally pounding! After a bit of time went by, I discovered warm, accepting, appreciative comments flew in!! I never felt more welcomed in my life, and have never looked back! Warmly, kathy

Amy - while wearing heels said...

What an incredibly sweet and easy craft for kids. Who doesn't love a ladybug? Adorable.

nest full of eggs said...

such a cute kids craft :)

Stephanie @ Toastie Studio said...

Thanks for linking up to my party! I wanted to let you know I picked your link to feature this week! See my post and grab my feature button here http://toastiestudio.blogspot.nl/2012/06/made-monday-26-picks.html