Wednesday, November 30, 2011

candle no. 1

The first candle has been lit. 
Candle number one on our Advent wreath represents love

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, Love Divine: 
Love was born at Christmas: 
Star and angels gave the sign.
-Christina Rossetti

It was a very easy wreath this year. Almost too easy (good thing I have that e-course coming up to keep me busy!)  I found the patchwork wreath I made last year in its storage box in the cellar and decided it looked rather nice! Feeling blissfully happy that I live out in the country out I went and snipped away at bushes and trees in our yard and even my lavender and rosemary bushes. These herb bundles are so fragrant along with the evergreens. Mmmm....
My daughter found these lovely berry red candles while we were shopping recently. I love the frosty festive look and it's okay with me that they are a slightly large for the wreath - perfectly imperfect is perfect! 
Nature has so many variations on shades of green even in this leafless season. I really started to notice that while gathering my clippings. I love the silver-green of the herbs and the yellow-green of the boxwood. How beautiful they all look with browns: little anis stars, cinnamon sticks, tiny pine cones. I simply placed them on the glass plate under and around the patchwork wreath and if they start to become too dry before Christmas I can quickly replace them with fresh greens.

I will leave you today with an image of some goodies from my shop that just were dispatched to a customer and another great quote from one of our children's favorites...



"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?  It came without ribbons.  It came without tags.  It came without packages, boxes or bags.  And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.  Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.  What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.  What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. " ~Dr Seuss

Happy First Week of Advent! 
xoxo 
Karen
P.S. Lovely quotes found here!

3 comments:

un arc-en-ciel dans le lavabo said...

Happy Advent dear Karen !
thank you for the l o v e post :)
sprigs of rosemary & lavender are such a good idea (I often use eucalyptus, too )
You also make beautiful wrappings... all this red is so cheerful ! I don't know why I have chosen to challenge myself with no red & no silver this year... but I did !!!
our first Advent candle has started burning and I'm wrapping the tiny packages for the Advent calendar to start tomorrow...
it feels lighter -- to me -- that November is almost gone and December almost there !
Enjoy your e-course xo

Country Rabbit said...

beautiful blog you have here, such wonderful creations- we share the same name ;0)x

Karen said...

Thank you both for visiting and leaving lovely comments!
Valerie, what a challenge, I couldn't do it! You certainly know where to come if you need a dash of red or a sprinkle of silver!
Country Rabbit, thank you!