Monday, February 7, 2011

Mothers & Daughters


The theme “mother & daughter” has always been very important to me. My imaginary creative muse "katie-claire" is in fact a combination of my mom's and daughter's middle names, so I guess it is no surprise!

Recently I came across two books that while different in genre have this theme in common and are both so well-written & full of inspiration I just have to share them! “The Artistic Mother” by Shona Cole and “Traveling with Pomegranates” by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor.


I think I have read most of Sue Monk Kidd's books - both fiction and non-fiction - well, devoured is probably more accurate. I just love her style and contemplative insight. Her latest book is a joint travelogue written with her daughter. It's a wonderful journal of their journeys to sacred places in Europe and to themselves, really. I do hope to see more by her talented daughter Ann Kidd Taylor soon!

“The Artistic Mother” is a more practical book of encouragement and creative projects. Any of you with children know what a balancing act life becomes and Shona Cole has some great tips and interviews with artistic moms for taking your art time seriously. Even after reading (and re-reading it!) I simply enjoy seeing this beautiful cover with the words ”Art” and “Mother” together - and of course mixed-media art including Shona's daughters!


Wishing you inspiration and sunshine on this February day!

Xoxo
Karen


3 comments:

Sonia said...

thanks for the reminder to work more (myself) along with my boys and incorporate their arts into mine, and vice versa
happy February to you, Karen !
xoxo

Rachel Le Grand said...

it's funny you should mention The Artistic Mother this week as later this week i'll be blogging about it (during my month long blogging all about 2010 craft books) i highly recommend that book for mothers :)

ninimakes said...

I've been thinking of you Karen and your book recommendations so it's a pleasure to drop by and find this lovely post. I hope you're well, quite busy I expect and probably already spending lots of hours in your beautiful garden.
Happy weekend to you!
Jx